MLB Opening Day and tonight: The Big Show 20th anniversary reunion with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann
Update: The Paley Center has posted a 9 min video of Dan and Keith.
Here is a nice article about the Paley Center event :
“They’re like brothers with genuine love for each other.”
Opening Day and Keith is….of course :
“Josh Thole wearing the
#Mets Gary Carter tribute BP shift”
Lot of Carters out there. Somewhere The Kid is smiling broadly
Tonight, Keith and Dan will be at the Paley Center for Media New York to celebrate the day they started The Big Show, their nickname for the 11pm ET SportsCenter on ESPN.
There may be no better coincidence than today being MLB Opening Day, since Dan and Keith are both baseball fans. And The Big Show book also includes Keith’s should-be-in-the-hall-of-fame-100 list.
Jim Miller, author of “ESPNBook Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN” will be moderating the 90 min conversation.
“Twentieth Anniversary of The Big Show: Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick Together Again
“On the actual day of their first telecast twenty years ago, Olbermann and Patrick will reminisce with author Jim Miller about those pioneering days in sports coverage. Highlights of their work will also be screened, along with questions from the audience. “
The event starts at 6:00 pm. Tickets are available on the website.
For further amusement:
Dan Patrick’s radio show can be found at http://danpatrick.com/
Maybe Mr. Miller is open to fan Q&A. Some fans will attend this historic occasion. I’ll try to get them to write down their experience.
- Jim Miller moderating. What were you thinking about that night? DP: I thought I was going to teach KO, frm local, how it’s done
- KO: We started at CNN, at that time ESPN were the worst at highlights. We always thought at least we’re not as bad as them.
- Clip from 1st show. Miller: We see from very beginning your distinct style & it seemed like you knew each other well.
- Miller how abt management thenDP: I don’t think they stayed up to watch. KO: True, they went home at 6:30 and didn’t ride us
- DP: Management said ‘we don’t want another Berman’ They didn’t want a star, ego. They wanted straight info. Maybe from robots
- KO: Then TVGuide did an article about 10 best shows on TV, and we were on it. That became a problem for management.
- KO ended up naming the show, The Big Show. Management got irate at this. They wanted just SportsCenter
#PaleyLiveNY @agac: It was joyous like walking a tightrope over a pit of fire for an hour was joyous. #PaleyLiveNY
- In dustup over name, DP thought he might get fired “I’ve never gotten used to being fired from things” Much laughter
@agac: KO: It was joyous like walking a tightrope over a pit of fire for an hour was joyous. #PaleyLiveNY
- MickeyMantle’s death. Management wanted them to do 2 minutes, then “more later” & go to scores. KO thought that was awful
- So KO & DP broke format and created a very moving 10 minute or so tribute to Mantle that they lead with. Beautifully done
#PaleyLiveNY @agac: I went over [to ESPN2] because as evidenced by my recent employment, I’m easily led. – @KeithOlbermann #PaleyLiveNY
- Miller. ESPN2. Management approached KO. He said he responded because, sotto voce, “I’m a team player”
#PaleyLiveNY @agac: He likes security, I like avalanches. – @KeithOlbermann #PaleyLiveNY
- KO: Crazy that they wanted to move the young people we had over to ESPN2. That never works, you can never move an audience
#PaleyLiveNY @agac: At ESPN back then, they would’ve shot “Titanic” in 11 days. – @KeithOlbermann #PaleyLiveNY
- KO: Bristol, CT is a company town, Everyone works for ESPN. So we never got any real-life feedback if people were watching.
- Clip of a mic malfunction on air. DP: that was a defining moment fr me. I understood it’s just TV. KO: We had each other’s back
- KO left show first. “I don’t drive, I didn’t have family & wouldn’t while my neighbors were cows. I needed to get back to city”
- DP: People ask me how do you put up with Keith. I say he’s been my best partner”
- Miller: What is it like to leave a place where there is so much attention the departure. KO: EVERYONE asked me that fr years.
- Then KO learned frm ElizabethMontgomery, who everyone wanted to wiggle her nose, that doing what people want is why you do it
- DP: The bottom line for me is that management didn’t respect what we were doing.
- For inquiring minds, KO took the E train here, transferring from the 7, coming from Citifield
- KO has the tape of Gary Miller’s soccer name breakdown on his iPhone & plays a little for the audience (children are present)
#PaleyLiveNY @MJBindel: Amazing insight from @KeithOlbermann and @dpshow just giving perspective on the mothership #PaleyLiveNY
- Aud Q: we live in a highlights world. Did you ever think you had something to do with that. DP: yeah, we’ve been blamed
- KO: When we meet our maker, he’ll say “What were you thinking. You think they’d all do highlights like you & not be excessive”
For those at the Paley Center event with Dan who thought I was kidding about walking home: I wasn’ttwitpic.com/9639co
— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) April 5, 2012
Very very large moon up there (second largest object next to my head) twitpic.com/9639ir
— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) April 5, 2012